Friday, July 18, 2008

Apples and Peaches and Pears, Oh My...


For some reason, our fruit trees are producing this year. We have had some trees for 12 years and have barely gotten a basketful of fruit. But this year, I don't know why, our trees are loaded. We have about 30 assorted fruit and nut trees planted around the yard. Besides the peaches and pears, we have several varieties of apples. One time I bought some Honey Crisp apples at the health food store. They were the BEST tasting apples I've ever had. They really were crisp and did taste like honey. I had to do a search to find out how to get my own trees. I found some at Stark Brothers Nursery. We now have Honey Crisp, Golden Delicious and Red Delicious and a few other varieties that I can't remember. Yum. Apple Crisp, Apple-Cranberry Chutney, applesauce, German Apple Pancake, Apple Bread, Baked Apples, Apples and Cinnamon...

We also have cherry trees, nectarine and fig trees, but have not gotten much yield from them yet. The pecan and almond trees will take a while, but some day we will be abundantly nuts.

No comments: